Usually, around this time of year as the temperature drops, many of us struggle to get to the gym due to being under the weather. Although this is quite a subjective topic, here are some of our top tips if you are feeling a bit run down over the winter period ⬇️⬇️⬇️
• Listen to your body – If you feel like a workout will make matters worse then give yourself time to rest. A couple of missed sessions will not hurt your progress in the long run.
• Drop the intensity of your workout – If you feel as though you are well enough to do a workout, then drop the intensity of your training. This is done by decreasing the amount of weight that you use.
• Just move your body – You do not need to go to the gym to exercise. Going for a walk outdoors can help you in the recovery process by opening up your airways and improving circulation.
• Drink plenty of fluids – If you have a temperature you may lose a lot of water in sweat. It is important to rehydrate your body to help fight off infection.
• Get your vitamins in – Vitamins C, B6 and E all play a big role in immune function. Foods which are high in Vitamin C include oranges, broccoli and bell peppers. Foods rich in Vitamin B6 include chicken, salmon and chickpeas. Vitamin E is found in nuts, seeds and spinach.
• Improve your sleep – Sometimes all we need is a good night’s sleep to help speed up the recovery process. Try going to bed an hour earlier than usual and give your body the rest it needs!