HOW TO MAKE 2020 YOUR BEST YEAR YET! 💫
With the new year upon us, it can be a good time to reflect and set new goals. But why exactly is this so important? Well, setting a clear and specific intention about what you want to achieve, or who you want to become, gives you a sense of direction and purpose. It is important to realize that it’s not necessarily what you get at the end but who you become in the process.
A recent Harvard Business study found that those who have goals are ten times more successful than those without goals. What’s more, those who wrote down their goals are three times more successful than the those who did not! So, there is certainly value in setting goals. But how exactly should you do this?
Try using the SMART acronym when setting your new goals by asking yourself are they:
• Specific – Being as clear as you can about where you want to be will help you plan more effectively. E.g. If your goal is to lose bodyfat-how much? What is your ideal physique and weight? Or, if your goal is performance-related, what area would you like to improve?
• Measurable – You want to be able to measure your goal so that you know if you are making progress or if you need to change something. E.g. If your goal is to increase your bench press 1 REP MAX from 80kg-100kg, you can measure your progress by testing your 1 REP MAX each
• Attainable – Your goal should be achievable or attainable. E.g. You should ask yourself questions like; Do I have the time to complete the required training effectively or are the necessary resources available to me?
• Relevant – Your goal should be your own. Don’t let other people’s opinions stop you from being true to yourself about what you want. It is important, to be honest with yourself here as it can be the difference in you going all-in on your goal or not. Use your goal as a way of helping others. Research shows that we feel more delighted when a goal is tied to something bigger than ourselves.
• Time – Your goal should have a target date. This will give you a focus and allow you to work back from this date.
Let us know some of your fitness goals for the year ahead 🙌🏽❤️ #TeamADC
For more information about our personal training course please click here.