When we incorporate lifting weights into our workouts, we reap a number of benefits that go beyond just how it makes us look (although this is a great bonus)
Weight training benefits include:
- Let’s start with the obvious. It builds muscle. If you’re looking to ‘tone up’, gain some serious size, or build a particular muscle, you need to lift weights.
- You get stronger💪🏼. Lifting weights consistently will lead to strength gains and over time you’ll be able to lift increasingly more weight. This will transfer over to daily activities such as carrying the shopping into the house (in one trip of course), as well as other sports.
- Helps with weight loss. The amount of muscle mass a person has influences their basal metabolic rate. Meaning: more muscle, more calories burnt at rest. Result!
- Improves your posture. This is important for everyone but especially as we get older. Using weights to strengthen our bodies can help us to stand more upright and prevent dysfunctional movement.
- Maintains bone density. Age is not kind to our bones either if we don’t take care of them. Placing the bones under force (weight training) helps to strengthen them and reduce potential injuries.
- Builds confidence. When we learn how strong our bodies really are, we realise what we are capable of. If you want to feel like a badass, go lift 🏋️♂️